Monday, September 7

Where is Everyone?




Monday 07-Sep-2009

I... I’m not sure what’s going on, but I figured that this was my best bet for finding out. However I can’t seem to access a good portion of the internet, I can’t get to my email, or to any of the places where I could normally contact people. Is anyone else having this problem? Honestly I’m astonished that this place had enough electricity to power up this terminal, I should get this put out quickly, or it may not get out at all. The lights keep flickering, and I don’t imagine I have much time before the power goes. The depthless silence that seems to have taken up residence in place of the hospital staff is creeping me out. Thankfully the sun is high in the sky, that’s something right? The wall clock in my room must have run out of batteries it still reads the same time it did when I woke up twenty or so minutes ago. The few digital clocks I’ve seen are just an ever changing jumble of numbers. Maybe it has to do with most of the internet being unavailable. No cell phone signals either, at least not that my crappy phone can pick up. This place is desolate, everyone’s gone… If anyone is out there, and reads this, please, please let me know what’s happening, hell just let me know your there.

I’m in a small hospital north west of Belcourt, ND just south of Belcourt Lake, on road BIA 7. I was admitted last night around eleven thirty, after a car accident. I had stopped at a four way intersection on my way home after work, and there was some sort of power surge. The nearby street lights on either side of the road exploded like fireworks. A taxi slammed into the back of my Buick, shattering the peaceful night with the sound of twisting, grinding metal. The other driver didn’t even stop long enough to see if I was okay, the jerk. I hit my head on the steering wheel. A little later on I woke up, still in my car, in the dark, and with a terrible headache. The power on the whole block was out. My cell phone was working, thank God for small favors, so bleary eyed I called 911, but they didn’t answer on the first try. I hung up on the busy tone, and had to call back twice before I got an operator. The ambulance seemed to take a really long time to get out to where I was, and while I waited I listened to the banshee’s wail of sirens as they went off all over the city. Once I arrived at the hospital it took nearly a half hour to get in to see anyone, all the doctors seemed to be burdened with a stack of patients, the emergency room was packed. Maybe the power surge wasn’t localized to just the intersection I was at.

My name is Jericho, and I am alone inside a public health building. It wasn’t until I noticed the flickering lights, and the stopped clocks that I got up to figure out why my nurse didn’t answer the call button. It didn’t take me long to realize there was no one to find; no doctors, no nurses, and no patients. It’s spooky, like everyone was evacuated, but no one bothered to wake me up. I have to get home; I have to make sure Saxon is okay.

Figuring it was better to be safe the sorry, I started searching my room for possible tools, or something to protect myself with. I’ve never been an overly paranoid person, but it doesn’t take a psychic to figure out things had taken a turn south. I found a laptop, with power cord, in a black bag next to the other bed in my room. Along with the clothing I was wearing last night in an adjacent closet, I nearly cried at the normalcy of laying my hands on my smokes, and my trusty Zippo. I also found my car keys; though the keys are useless the accident ruined my car. In the bathroom I found a hair pick, a can of hairspray, and some basic cosmetics. I know I shouldn’t take things that aren’t mine, but if I find the owner I’ll return them. I have to remember to call the insurance company once I get out of this. I pray this strange absence of people is only local to this area; I have to get out of here. If there is power once I get home I’ll check back, please if anyone is there say something… Anything.

With hope,
-Jeri

0 comments: